Dr. Bhusare S. P. Associate Professor, Dept of Rasashastra, SMBT Ayurved College and Hospital, Dhamangaon, Nashik. Email: Sunita3586@gmail.com, 9604613078
Date of Acceptance: 2022-01-10
Date of Publication:2022-01-11
Source of Support: Nill
Conflict of Interest: None declared
How To Cite This Article: Bhusare S. P., Niphade S.R. Niphade V.S. Pharmaceutical Characterization of Traditionally Prepared Rasabhraka Rasa. AYUSCRIPT 2023;2(1):48-53
Medicines prepared from Parada are called as Rasaushadies. These are more potent and effective in small doses to cure diseases. Kupipakva is one of a method of preparation of Rashaoushais. Rasabhraka is Nirgandha, Sagni Parad- Kupikava Rasayana. According to Rasachintamani it is prepared with Shuddha Parada and Abhraka. Abhraka is an important mineral in Rasa Shastra. Krushna Vajrabhrak is generally used for the preparation of medicines. Kupipakva Rasaushadhis are prepared in specially designed glass bottle by gradual heating immersion in Valuka Yantra/sand bath. Rasapishti of Parad and Abhraka is made and Bhavana of Tulasi Swarasa is given to this Rasapishti. Here we have tried to prepare Rasabhrak by traditional method of Kupipakva Rasayana preparation by using this Rasapishti. Rasabhrak is obtained as a Talasth Rasayan of kachkupi/at the bottom of glass bottle and the colour of the finished product Rasabraka is Istika Varna. This Rasabhrak can be used for medicinal purpose.
Keywords: Parada, Abhraka, Rasapishti, Rasabhraka, Kupikava etc.
Ayurveda has potent medicine which are prepared with parada these are called Rasaushadhi. According to method of preparation Rasa aushadi are divided in four categories Kupipakva Kalpa, Pottali kalpa, Parpati Kalpa and Kharliya Kalpa, most of the Rasa Kalpa are prepared with the help of Gandhaka (sulphur) in the form of Kajjali and Hingul e.g. Rasa Sindoor, etc. a very few Kalpas are prepared without Gandhaka i.e. Nirgandha Kalpa. Speciality of Rasabhraka Rasa is that it is prepared with the help of Abhraka only. It is Nirgandha & Sagni Kalpana of Parad. This is the unique preparation of Ras Kalpa in the Kupipakva Rasayana category. Parada is most important among rasa substance but Parad is not therapeutically used in natural form. As Parad is unstable drug it is always prepared with use of a single or multiple drugs. To add therapeutic qualities to Parada it is processed with different substances. It helps to enhance the potential of the Finally prepared drug. Abhraka is an important mineral in Rasa Shastra. Krushna Vajrabhrak is generally used for the preparation of medicines. Kupipakva Rasaushadies are prepared in specially designed glass bottle by gradual heating immersion in Valuka Yantra/sand bath. Particular chemical processes are involved in these preparations which also bear testimony to the chemical knowledge prevailing in ancient science of Aayurveda.
Material and methods:-
:- For the making of Rasabhrak Rasa, the procedure of making Kupipakva Rasayana from Rasendra Chintamani Ayurved Aushadhikaran Shastra, Ras Chintamani, Ayurvediya Ras Shastra, Ras Chudamani are reviewed and the same procedure is adopted from Rasendra Chintamani.
Observation and Discussion:- Rasabhraka Rasa is the kupipakva rasayan mentioned in the Ayurvedic text Rasachintamani.
Shuddha Parad :1 part
Dhanyabhraka : 1 part
Bhavana tulsipatra Swaras : q.s.
These ingredients are mentioned in the reference Rasachintamani 10/29-35.
To prepare rasabhraka rasa, shuddha parad and dhanyabhraka should be taken in Kharal and triturated (mardan) with tulsi patra swaras, then it should be filled in Kachkupi and placed in valukayantra for 12 prahar (36 hrs.)
Procedure of Preparation of Rasabhraka Rasa:
The whole procedure can be divided under 3 heading.
A) Purvakarma :
B) Pradhanakarma :
C) Paschatakarma :
A] PURVAKARMA :
1) Instruments, Apparatus, Material-
Kacha Kupi- green coloured glass bottle, Clothes and clay for Kapadmitti Valuka yantra and Valuka , Bhrashtri, Furnace, Pyrometer.
Other Instruments : Khalva yantra, Iron rod (Loha Shalaka), Copper coin, Knife, Trays and Spatulas, Torch.
2) Collection of Raw Material : Raw Parada and Krushn Vajrabhraka is collected.
3) Shodhan of Raw Material- Shodhan of Parada was done by the Mardana procedure given in RasaTarangini 5/31 and Shudhha parada is collected.
Procedure od Abhraka Shodhana was done by Nirwap method given in rasa Ratna samuchhaya 2/16-17.Then Dhanyabhraka was prepared by the method mentioned in Rasa Ratna Samuchhya 1/154. The Dhanyabraka is collected for the rasa Pishti making procedure.
4) Rasapishti preparation:
Reference- R.chi. 10/29-35
Type of procedure- Mardan
Equipment- stony morter and pestle, tray,spatula.
Ingredients- 1) Shuddha parada-100gms 2) Dhanyabhraka-100gms
Bhavana- tulasipatra swaras- 150ml.per day
Procedure of Making Rasapishti:
Dried rasapishti was collected in a glass container
5)Enwrapping bottle (Kapadmitti)-
Kapadmitti on each bottle was done seven times. Cloth dipped in multani mitti was wrapped around the bottle to do kapadmitti. Second layer must be applied after
6) Filling of Rasapishti- Rasapishti was filled in each kupi with the help of funnel and spatula. Only 1/3 rd part of bottle was filled with rasapishti and remaining 2/3 rd space was kept vaccant for further reaction. 180 gms rasapishti was filled in each bottle.
7) Fixing of Kupi in Valuka yantra- Before placing the kupi in valuka yantra it was filled with sand layer upto 2 inches from the base. Mouth of the kupi was corked temporarily with the help of paper to avoid mixing of the sand in rasapishti. Sand was filled upto the neck of the bottle. After filling sand cork was removed.
B] PRADHAN KARMA
1) Heating procedure: This is the most important step of the procedure. For preparation of Rasabhraka rasa kramagni was given in the sequence of mrudu, madhya and tivragni. Agni was maintained through out the procedure for best quality of medicine. Fire wood material and coal was used. Temperature was recorded with digital pyrometer at every one hour. To measure the temperature pyrometer rod was inserted in sand 2 inches away from the base of the bottle.
2)Clearing the mouth of bottle: Hot iron rod was inserted at every ½ an hr. to clear the neck of bottle during tivragni period. Some mercury fumes obstruct neck of bottle, so hot iron rod was carefully and continuously inserted into neck of the bottle to avoid bursting or breaking of bottle. Iron rod should not be touched at the base of kupi.
3) Application of cork and removal of sand: After 36 hrs a piece of brick covered with a cloth smeared in multani mitti was fixed in the mouth of the bottle and after ½ an hr. sand around the neck of the bottle was removed.
C] PASHCHAT KARMA:-
1) Self cooling(swangshitikaran): Self cooling prevents breaking of bottle. Hence valukayantra was allowed to cooling for about 12-13 hrs. and then bottle was removed.
2) Removal of bottle: Coating of bottle was craped off with a knife after dipping the bottle inside water upto neck for 5 min. Surface of bottle was cleaned with a wet cloth, so the position of final product can be seen i.e. in the neck or at the base of bottle. One finger above the upper edge of the final product a thread soaked in kerosene was tied and ignited. After complete burning of the thread a wet cloth was wrapped around the bottle to break it properly.
3)Collection of final products: The Rasabhraka rasa was seen at the base of bottle. It was collected and stored properly in glass bottle.
Showing important observation regarding temperature for Rasabhraka preparation
Rasabhraka Rasa a Nirgandha Kupipakva Rasayana, is mentioned in Raschintamani. Preparation of Rasabhraka rasa has a several processes like parada shodhana, Abhraka Shodhana, Dhanyabhraka Nirmana, Kupinirman and pachan etc. Total 3 days were required for Rasapishti making. Dried Rasapisti was light black coloured. Total duration required for making of Rasabhraka in Kachkupi was 36 hours. Finally, the Rasabhraka rasa obtained as a Talastha Kupipakva Rasayana and the colour of the drug was Istika Varna. We obtained the amount of Rasabhraka in this whole procedure is 96gm.
To maintain the quality of Rasakalapa , all the drug should be authenticated and standardized as per the standard mentioned in Ayurvedic Pharmacopeia of India. This article ahighlights the standard method of preparation of Rasabhraka. This is a good appetizer, good digestive agent and helps in improving the gastro intestinal condition in various diseases, it increases the life span and also useful in geriatric disorders. The therapeutic dose is generally 3 Ratti (375 gms.) and it may vary according the various disease condition and severity. Rasbhark should be administered with Madhu(Honey) as an anupan.